Wednesday, April 21, 2010

On the Verge or Over the Edge?

Am I on the verge or over the edge?
Gotta get to to your window so I'm crawling that ledge
And I'm trying my best just not to look down
On the sharpest parts of the dullest town

I've had way too much sleep, but not near enough rest
My stomach is full but there's a hole in my chest
On the surface I'm fine but underneath I'm a mess
I've got dirty overalls under my fancy party dress

And I can't move on til I find what I've lost
My heart's a stolen bankcard with a high-limit cost
So I retraced my steps, but I already knew
That the last time I saw it was when I last saw you

You showed me color, now all I see is gray
And the sky is full of clouds on the sunniest day
So I'm balancing on the edge of a knife
Cause to live without my heart wouldn't really be a life

Am I on the verge or over the edge?
Gotta get to to your window so I'm crawling that ledge
And I'm trying my best just not to look down
At the serpent filled waters that beckon me to drown

Please look for my heart; You'll find it on your shelf
It beats for your love, you can check it for yourself
It's young and brand new; it's fresh out of the box
It was kept in storage til you undid the locks

As it jumped to life, it scared me to death
When you kissed my lips and you stole my breath
But Panic gripped my arm and dragged me away
And tore a heart-shaped hole in my sleeve that day

So tall are the walls and deep is the moat
And it's hard to cross over with a hole in the boat
I push aside my fears so I can beg another chance
Because without you in my heart, there's no music for this dance

Am I on the verge or over the edge?
Please open your window; let me in from this ledge
My eyes fill with tears and my chin drops down
But you touch my cheek, then kiss away my frown

(c) Jeanene Vesper 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment